Chocolate Cherry Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
Hey all,

The Girlfriend and I are experimenting with adding cocoa powder and fruit puree to see how it turns out.

This was a partial grain brew. We used the Brewer's Best Irish Stout kit and then added 8 oz of cocoa powder after the boil and stirred. After pitching the yeast the Airlock was bubbling pretty good and we then just moved it into the secondary carboy tonight (8 days). We noticed there was a lot of what looked like "cocoa" trub that was left on the bottom. We added the cherry puree (forget the size for it was a larger can like the size of the malt extracts) to the secondary and then added the beer to the secondary.

I was just wondering if this would be the best process for making this type of beer and if brewers have seen a lot of what looked to be the cocoa to be left over when using it in the primary.

Also the starting gravity was suppose to be 1.048-1.050 and the final was 1.017-1.020. Ours was 1.052 for starting and 1.022 for the final. This was after the cocoa was added that we made the measurement. Would that difference be caused by the cocoa being added?

All in all We think everything was done correctly we were just unsure on the gravity and the process of adding this different flavors. Sorry if this was a bit much... Thanks!

I was under the impression you were supposed to add cocoa powder to secondary. Anyway, 1/2# of cocoa powder could've pulled it from .020 to .022 I suppose...did you correct for temperature? Regardless, I have never had an extract kit finish within the expected FG. They're always about .002 off for me.

Back