duration preference when kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
so I'm a big fan of the 1-2-3 when bottling (ok, the 1-2-drink a few between 2 and 3) but not sure about the kegging.

So far I've done 1 week in primary (or so), 2 weeks in secondary (usually dry hop but not this time), and rack to keg at around 3 weeks, jam 30 psi co2 in for 24 hrs and then down to beer pressure (usually around 12 psi) and let it sit. My question for y'all is, how long and why?

I understand with IPAs and hoppy beers that the 'grassy' flavors subside whilst sitting in the keg (and carboys i guess) but what is happening during the 2-3 weeks I'm waiting for co2? I know lots of folks force carb - are they consuming their beer at 3 weeks? Anyway, I have an oatmeal stout OG 1.05ish that will spend the average 1-2 but what's the opinion for the last wait in the keg? Preciatecha!

mm

Still takes time for the brew to condition. I keg from the fermenter at 3-4 weeks and give the batch at least a month in the keg.

If I get my secondary to crash cool and clear pretty well, I rack to keg and start carbing right away. In a week I'll pull a pint and see how it looks. If it's almost clear and I'm running low, I'll drink it. If I can lay off it, I like to leave it cold for three weeks when it really starts clearing up.

I primary at least 7 days, or until complete, then I secondary for about 10 days, after which I cold condition for about another 5 days. After that I transfer to keg at 11-12 psi. I let it sit for at least two weeks, and then I try it. Typically it is still a little green at that point and reaches it's peak around 4 weeks in the keg.

I've been bad lately. I've been leaving in primary for 10-14 days then cold crashing, kegging, and pouring in about 7-10 days. I'm gonna start leaving it in primary longer or secondary in the keg warm and then throw it in the fridge or jump it to another keg...

The only way to stop this pattern is to brew way more often than you think you need to and get more kegs that you can hide from yourself. Even when I do that, I get so curious as to how that last batch turned out. Look away man, it doesn't exist.

If I use a secondary I go 2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary, 1 week in the keg and it's ready to drink if I am in a hurry (note, it's the same 6 weeks). More often I leave it in secondary for longer to bulk age.

I'm usually 7-10 days in primary, 2 full weeks in secondary, then I keg and vent the head space a few times. then the keg sits in my spare room at room temp, or now that' its cooled off, I put em in the basement for 45-ish temp range cool storage.

the beer doesn't get drained too fast at my house.

I go for 4-8 weeks in the primary, 7 days cold crashing, then 7 days carbing. Never had a problem with taste!

I leave in primary 7 to 10 days, then I throw in secondary for a month. Put in keg, let it carb for a week then start on it. No problems yet. If it's a regular stout or a hefe, I put in keg straight out of primary, carb for a week and then start drinking.

I usually keep it in both the primary and secondary for 10-14 days, although either one of those steps can go longer if I need it. Then, I'll keg it and carbonate. After a few days in the keg, I'll give it a quality control test. If I have a diacetyl problem, I'll pull the keg out and let it sit at room temperature for a couple days before another QC taste.

TL

I have crashed cooled some light ales after 10-14 days in the primary, kegged then forced carbed and served after an hour or so. Tastes good, gets better after 4-5 days. But by that time its usually all gone.
AP

Back