protien rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
Have a question about a protein rest for a Belgian style wit. Just wondering i I could use half the water at 120*, let it stand at that temp for 30 min and then raise the temp to 148*-150* by adding the other half of water at a higher temp. I'm doing a 5 gal. batch with a total of 11 pounds in grain. I read on this site that you are to use 1-1 1/4qt. per lb. = 11-13.75 quarts of water . Is it possible to add the total amount in half sections or must it be added all at once?
Do I use the same amount of water when I batch sparge?

With protein rests you have two options: first, is to decoct. Put in the full water volume, then draw off a percentage of that water after the rest heat it to near boiling and add it back.

My preferred method is along the lines of what you ask. I make a very thick mash with .8 q per pound of grain. Then after rest time I add the remainder up to a normal mash thickness. I don't do 1/2 and 1/2 it is more like 2/3 1/3. Beersmith tells me that exact quantities and temps.

Great that helps, hopefully i will be over the burner tonight brewing it up. you guys are the best on this site, keep helping the next generation of youthfull brewers.
Zion Brewing, you get back what you put into a beer, and my friends I tell you it's all about the love.

Back