I am Downunder and looking for breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I just arrived in Sydney yesterday... from Virginia USA, and I am here for a month. No work just visiting.

I have found three brewpubs with-in walking distance and have visted one.

1. Lord Nelsons (Brewpub) Nice Beer
  2. The Red Oak (not yet visited)
  3. Hearts Pub and the Rocks Brewing Company (not yet visited)

I am looking for help locating more from anyone who knows.

I also visited http://australianheritagehotel.com/ and tried a few there... They have over 100 homegrown beer there....

Oh and today I go to Canberra for the weekend....

DPB

I continue to search and have found a few. been to four (4) already.

• Lord Nelsons (Sydney)
  • Wig and Pen (Canberra)
  • Zierholz Premium (Fyshwick)
  • Goulburn (Goulburn -- the oldest stand brewery in the country 175 + years)

But still no comprehensive list...

DPB

The Lord Nelson and Red Oak are definitely worth going to.

The Lord Nelson is a great old pub and has some nice British-inspired beers. The Hero of Waterloo, also in the Rocks, is a classic old pub but has gone a bit bogan - according to locals. The Red Oak has the best selection of different types of beers on tap than anywhere else in Sydney - as far as I know. There is a great 'speakeasy' type place across the street from the Red Oak called the Baxter. It's down a wee alley and in the basement of a building. Great whiskey selection. Very manly place with pictures of boxers and horse racing on the walls.

The Wig and Pen in Canberra is certainly worth checking out. Canberra is a bit of a dull place, but the Wig and Pen is just like a British pub with a great selection of locally-brewed craft beers. Check out the Australian War Memorial while you're in the 'bush capital' too.

My dad is from a town called Wagga Wagga, which is a few hours along the Hume Highway from Golbourn. There is a brew pub called the Thirsty Crow that is certainly worth a stop. Really nice pale ales with Australian hops. You'll find a really good American pale ale there too.

If you want to experience a slice of Australian pub culture, go to one of the megapubs in Sydney's western suburbs (the Ettamoogah, The Mad Fiddler or The Castle Hill Tavern). Huge pubs with violent reputations and not much craft selection. When in doubt, drink Toohey's Old.

The Lord Nelson and Red Oak are definitely worth going to.

The Lord Nelson is a great old pub and has some nice British-inspired beers. The Hero of Waterloo, also in the Rocks, is a classic old pub but has gone a bit bogan - according to locals. The Red Oak has the best selection of different types of beers on tap than anywhere else in Sydney - as far as I know. There is a great 'speakeasy' type place across the street from the Red Oak called the Baxter. It's down a wee alley and in the basement of a building. Great whiskey selection. Very manly place with pictures of boxers and horse racing on the walls.

The Wig and Pen in Canberra is certainly worth checking out. Canberra is a bit of a dull place, but the Wig and Pen is just like a British pub with a great selection of locally-brewed craft beers. Check out the Australian War Memorial while you're in the 'bush capital' too.

My dad is from a town called Wagga Wagga, which is a few hours along the Hume Highway from Golbourn. There is a brew pub called the Thirsty Crow that is certainly worth a stop. Really nice pale ales with Australian hops. You'll find a really good American pale ale there too.

If you want to experience a slice of Australian pub culture, go to one of the megapubs in Sydney's western suburbs (the Ettamoogah, The Mad Fiddler or The Castle Hill Tavern). Huge pubs with violent reputations and not much craft selection. When in doubt, drink Toohey's Old.

Thanks,

I continue to drink my way through the country, though today me thinks I need a break since we did Hunter Valley wine tours for two days... We stayed at a Potters Hunter Valley Resort and of course I tried the beers there at the Brewery on site.

Ones I have made it to:

1. Lord Nelson
  2. Harts Pub (Contract Brewing)
  3. Red Oak
  4. Sydney Brewhouse
  5. Young Henry's
  6. Murray's (Manly - brewed off site)
  7. Four Pines (Manly)
  8. Goulburn Brewery (Goulburn)
  9. Wig and Pen (Canberra)
  10. Zerholtz (Fyshwick)
  11. Hunter Brewery (Cessnic)