Need some advice on Black IPA Extraxt kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andoniu83

Reaction score
Gonna be brewing a Northern Brewer Black IPA Extract Kit soon and was thinking of dry hopping with 1 oz. Centennial Hops and 4 oz. of Oak Chips at the same time after transferring to secondary.

I have never used oak chips before in a brew...does this sound like an idea that would work? I've dry hopped beers before, but is it recommended to dry hop and infuse oak flavor into a beer at the same time, or at different times? What would be a good type of oak chip to use, American, French, medium roast, dark roast?

Any advice would be helpful, this will be the first extract kit i have brewed without following the directions to a T, so I want to get this right so I don't throw the investment down the drain.

Thanks

Oak chips are pretty easy - American or French will do (or whatever you can find). You need about 1 cup/5 gallons beer. Boil chips, then add them to secondary for about 1 week. You don't want to go much longer than a week on the oak . . . and don't sweat it if it is really "oaky" - it will settle down with time, just like hops do.

Latest posts

Back