Beer Alchemy FG calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I use Beer Alchemy as I like it better than BTP, although have both. I was wondering if there was an accurate way of adjusting the expected FG? I know it predicts it based on OG and yeast used etc, but it doesn;t seem to take into account mash temp. I mean, your FG will be very different if you mash at 154F vs 147F. Anybody have a workaround for this? Does BTP do this?

I noticed that recently also. Most of my beers are high mash temp beers, so I never realized it before. Some of the yeast attenuation percentages are off also according to the Wyeast website. I don't know how to adjust it though.

IIRC BeerAlchemy uses 15°C(59°F) when adjusting gravity in recipes. You are right that your measured gravity will be way off when done in the mash, etc due to higher temperatures.

You have 2 options. In the batch editor note the temperature of the measure wort under the "Actuals" tab or you can stick to the default 15°C(59°F) and use the SG correction calculator that comes bundled with BeerAlchemy.

If these instructions are unclear just let me know, I'm not near my mac a.t.m. so I'm writing this from memory I'm afraid.

Does this answer your question or am I misunderstanding?

If you go into the "Ingredients" editor, you can change the default attenuation for every yeast. You can also just simply change the FG slider in the recipe editor, all that does is change the percent attenuation.

yeah, I was thinking about changing the default attenuation which would help, assuming I knew what attenuation I was going for. Which Is fairly easy to estimate. I was was just hoping there was a way for it to take mash temp into account, so if I brew the same recipe, lets say one at 152F and one at 154F with the same yeast, it would calculate my expected FG for each. It seems this would make deciding mash temp a little easier. Oh well...

yeah, I was thinking about changing the default attenuation which would help, assuming I knew what attenuation I was going for. Which Is fairly easy to estimate. I was was just hoping there was a way for it to take mash temp into account, so if I brew the same recipe, lets say one at 152F and one at 154F with the same yeast, it would calculate my expected FG for each. It seems this would make deciding mash temp a little easier. Oh well...

While that would be nice, I think it is so brewer dependent that it would likely never be accurate for anyone.

Back