Habanero mango

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
On a whim yesterday, I decided to give this a shot.
I didn't really have anything to off of so I went with.

1 gallon batch
2.5# clover honey
1 mango sliced (as well as I could)
1 lemon
1 habanero sliced into 4
1 packet of d-47
Then I topped it off with water

In the secondary I plan to add more honey, mangos and habaneros. But I'm looking for input from those that are experienced.
Any suggestions?

I started it yesterday so I'm sure I can tweak it if need be.
My overall expectation is a sweet & spicy mead.

I made a 1 gallon batch of habanero cyser last year that finished sweet (1.015). Only used one habanero for it and that was plenty. Weird thing about this sort of mead is that it tastes sweet up front, nothing in the middle, and burns on the back. It needs something in the middle to bring it together. Perhaps some oak? Just throwing some ideas out there.

As I was walking through the store I took a quick glance here and read that very thing.
Did you use fruit in yours?
I was hoping to get a little sweet citrusy mango taste before the burn.
How would I introduce the oak? I mean at what stage?
I have a little 50ml bottle of oak essence is that a possibility?

YES. Habanero and mango work amazingly well together. You should try them in brownies, by the way!

I haven't made much mead, but I'm currently making one with raspberries, paradise seeds, and fatali pepper. It's got some aging to do, but it was quite good at about a month. I would not expect the spice level to diminish over time, as capsaicin is not a very volatile compound. I would suggest adding chopped habaneros slowly, allowing them to soak for several days, and then testing the spice level. Once you get the right spice, don't add any more habaneros. It is easy to overdo.

It was a cyser which means I used apple cider instead of water. The fruit flavor was all up front.

As far as oak treatment, let it finish fermenting, then add 4-6 oak cubes. I would imagine American medium toast would be delicious. Just don't leave them in too long or it will taste like bourbon...unless that is what you are after.

Back