want to start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
i know there are probably a bunch of posts like this out there. but here is my question.

i have made several batches. and i am ready to take it to the next level. im tired of messing with bottles and think the keg idea would make life alot nicer.

i beleive i would like to use a refrigerator to do this. maybe 2-3 kegs.

i think if i do it, i would like to do it right and have the through the fridge faucets.

so what kind of set up should i do? where is the best cheapest place to order from? and what other information can you share with me?

thanks for your help

Kegging is MUCH easier than bottling IMO.

For the rest of your questions, you're right about those too. There are a lot of posts out there like this. :)

The answer to most of these questions is going to be up to your personal preferences though.

I bought most of my kegging equipment from my LHBS even though I know it would have been cheaper if I'd shopped online. I wanted the stuff right away and also wanted to talk to their keg expert and support them a bit.

You can probably set yourself up for under $200 if you already have a frig. If you have to get the whole thing it will really depend on what size you want to get and how much you're willing to spend.

I've heard that corny kegs are getting more and more scarce and so the price will be going up, but I don't know if this is true or just a story to drive up the price.

You need:
Frig or freezer, pressure regulator, temp control, hoses (3/16 beverage line for beer- 5 feet or more per keg, same or larger for C02-length doesn't matter here), connectors for kegs (one in and one out for whatever kind you get), some hose clamps, a keg (corny keg or ball-lock) and a tap.

I didn't list a CO2 tank because I don't own one. Instead I gave a $50 deposit to my local distributor and then pay $13 for a recharge of a 5 lb tank.

Those are the ingredients, you have to adjust for your flavor/bank account.:)

Upgrades include: muti-gauge regulator (tank and supply side), multi-tap, digital temp control, multi-keg system, different kinds of taps and cooling systems for them etc.

Good luck with it and post the pics when you get set up!

A 5lb tank will last quite a long time. I run two kegs and would guess that I can get at least 10 kegs on one tank (I really have never counted and to be honest I am sure it's more than that). You'll also use the 5lb tank to force inject you kegs. I have purchased 2 5lb tanks just to keep another full one around in case I need it. I sometimes have a hard time getting to my gas supply store before they close (M-F 9-5).

I also agree with a_shorething with going to a LHBS store you pruchase all (or most of) your kegging set-up. You get you stuff right away, they should know everything you need and will also have local knowledge as to where to fill your 5lb tanks (they might do in house).

Cheers

I am not so handy and just bought a kegerator off craiglist danby DK645BLS for $300, installed a johnson temp controller (the resistor on the danby was bad), a triple tap tower (got off a HBT member), and perlick faucets. Plenty of room for three cornies and a couple of beers. There are a lot of cool builds on the forums using chest freezers.

Great investment, only problem is I don't bottle so much so if I want to bring my beer places it is a little tricky but there are solutions for that.

Yeah, cheapest way is going to be to look around for a free fridge on craigslist, then buy one of the conversion kits from either kegconnection or keg cowboy. I found drilling through the door easier and less worrisome, but plenty of people go through the side as well. Controllers are nice, but not necessary, especially if you get one with a freezer on top that you want to use. Also, look at pin lock kegs, they are a lot cheaper lately than ball lock. Other than that, its about all you need and could probably get yourself set up fairly cheaply.

Although, I would splurge on the perlick faucets for whatever conversion kit you get. Otherwise you'll just wind up spending that money in the future anyways, like I did!

I am not so handy and just bought a kegerator off craiglist danby DK645BLS for $300, installed a johnson temp controller (the resistor on the danby was bad), a triple tap tower (got off a HBT member), and perlick faucets. Plenty of room for three cornies and a couple of beers. There are a lot of cool builds on the forums using chest freezers.

Great investment, only problem is I don't bottle so much so if I want to bring my beer places it is a little tricky but there are solutions for that.

I've tried bottling from the keg and it worked well (although I need to work on my technique, I spilled too much.:( ) but what has been working for me lately is this:

I keep a clean growler in the beer fridge with star-san in it and if I'm going out somewhere or someone comes over that wants to take some with them I just swish the star-san around and dump it out, then fill up the growler from the tap. The cold glass of the pre-chilled growler help keep the foam down to a minimum. This will keep for a couple of weeks at least and since it's exactly 4 pints it's probably going to be finished soon after it's opened again. :mug:

I think it would depend on your situation. I just finished my setup in the garage with a fridge/freezer and 2 taps. I didn't have room in The house, and the extra freezer space is nice, as well as storage for some bottles. There's also room to expand to 4 taps when I get the time and extra $. Plus the fridge was real cheap on craigslist.

Depends on what you have room for and what kind of capacity you need.

Back