Book about Brewing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31special

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Can someone suggest a good book on brewing beer? I'm also looking for the best clone recipe for Chimay Red.

Thanks in advance,

31special

The Joy of Homebrewing

How to Brew

Those are the two best books that I've seen. The html version of How to Brew is free. Just go to the website.

The Joy of Homebrewing

How to Brew

Those are the two best books that I've seen. The html version of How to Brew is free. Just go to the website.

The HTML version is better than nothing, but dated at best. There have been multiple releases since then. I've read "The complete joy of homebrewing", "homebrewing for dummies",and "how to brew" and still learned more on this site than all three of those books.

Yep, both of the books that artyboy mentioned are pretty much considered the homebrewing bibles and are a must-have for any homebrewer. Lots of background information and detailed instructions on how to brew beer. They even have a number of recipes.

After you've read those you might want to consider the book Designing Great Beers. A little more technical, but it breaks down the major beer styles and tells you what goes into them and the processes used so that you can either replicate your own favorite recipes or create your own.

Stan Hieronymus wrote a book called "Brew Like a Monk". It is not a recipe book or even a how-to, but it does have this information in it. It discusses important Belgian breweries and American Belgian-influenced breweries and their approach. If you are interested in making Belgian beers or just simply having a better understanding of them, it's a great read.

The html version is a great primer. Even if it's dated there's more than enough information to get you up to speed so that you can make sense of this site...where the really good information is :D.

I think that How to brew might be the best beginners book, but I like Joy of Homebrewing too, and I recently picked up Homebrewing for Dummies and it's actually a very good book!

I like Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles for recipe/style information. Although I admit I've never followed one of their recipes verbatim. I usually sub an ingredient or two.

Back