Broken bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbox12

Reaction score
I seem to have an unusually high amount of broken bottles this last batch. When I pry the cap off the top of the bottle breaks. About 4 or 5 bottles out of almost 2 cases.

Wonder if I was a little rough with the capper?

are these new bottles? or bottles you have used before?

i have found that some bottles are just crap, and the first time i used them they just break on me. if you have a few new bottles in your rotation (new empties from a friend or something) that could be all it is.

Were they originally twist offs ? You can cap twist off with regular caps but the twist off bottle are much thinner at the neck opening . I have broken bottles before on commercial brews when I didn't realize they we twist off and used an opener.

I seem to have an unusually high amount of broken bottles this last batch. When I pry the cap off the top of the bottle breaks. About 4 or 5 bottles out of almost 2 cases.

Wonder if I was a little rough with the capper?

Are you talking about the whole bottle shattering or the glass lip under the cap shearing off?

I had an issue with the latter due to the cheapo wall mounted bottle opener I bought, after a few weeks of use it started to snap the very tip of the bottle off.

Hey thanks for getting back.
They are used bottles, some more than a couple times.
Not twist offs, I don't reuse them.

They are shearing off right under the cap, when I am trying to pry the cap off.

Hey thanks for getting back.
They are used bottles, some more than a couple times.
Not twist offs, I don't reuse them.

They are shearing off right under the cap, when I am trying to pry the cap off.

I just got one in one of my batches, and I have had a couple more here or there. I do think that bottles, especially newer bottles, probably do wear out after a few uses, and of course that would more than likely be the weak point.

I've noticed there is a large variance in bottle thickness and bottle quality, between breweries, and also the first two cases I got with my kit are really thin seaming and lighter in color than the ones I accumulated after.

On the other hand I have three cases of pints from the 70's in thick cardboard boxes.

pintsresized.jpg

And these, despite the wear marks from the bottling line are nearly indestructible.

Back