bourbon barrel aged double bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
OHHHHH ive wanted to do this for a while and have been saving up some money for it.

would the best way to go about bourbon oaking a 5 gallon batch be about 3oz of chips that are soaked in bourbon for a week or two? how does this go, and how long should i let it age in the chips? thanks

I used two ounces of oak cubes in the secondary for two weeks. Then when I bottled I added in straight Jack (about 16 oz.). Taste delicious so far (only in obttle for a few weeks now. I haven't really tasted it lately). Others have gone your route by soaking the chips in bourbon and then adding it into the secondary for a few weeks. It's kind of up to your personal preference.

Some folks have had good luck with using Jack Daniel Oak smoking chips soaked in more jack fort a couple weeks...I have my Brown ale sitting with some right now...there's a huge amount of info on different oaking strategies...I did a search and found several great threads two weeks ago...that's how I decided on the smoking chips...

Back