ANY flavor from bittering hops after 60 minute boil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franzi

Reaction score
To all of you who have brewed many batches over the years:

do you notice any difference when bittering with different hops? Do the fruity/earthy/etc tones really come out in the beer after boiling hops for 60 minutes?

If not mistaken, I recall reading that John Palmer uses the same hop (Galena I think) for all bittering purposes. This makes me wonder if I should simply buy in bulk, hops with a high AA.

I don't know the answer to that either - but good question. But, I do recall reading something about how the super high alpha hops would lend a harsh bitterness - whereas the lower or more standard high alphas would be smoother.

I heard on a jamil podcast that there is both flavor and bittering that come out of both sides of the hop additions. I think he said that it would be minimal but there is some there. I this situation would be good for some side by side testing to be done.

I did side-by-side comparisons on my house beers (one an IPA, one an ordinary bitter and one a dry stout) when I wanted to switch my bittering additions to galena to save money (my hop addiction is EKG which is uber pricey).

I saw no difference at all in the flavour of the IPA or the ordinary bitter - both of which had enough flavour additions to overshadow any possible flavours from the bittering addition.

The dry stout I THINK I detected a difference but to be honest it was so slight I may have been 'noticing' it because I was looking for it, if you know what I mean.

I did not notice when I switched hops for my stouts, which only use bitter hops.
I'm sure it does make a SMALL, barely detectable difference.

Generally the beta acids, and hop oils get denatured after 30 minutes or so, and you are only left with the isomerized alpha acids.

But Guinness, for example, I've read that they do not use a "standard" bittering hop, but use whatever they can get for a good price, based on alpha per euro.

Very, very little. The bittering qualities can vary, though. I use Columbus for bittering a lot. I like it & I got a deal on two pounds of pellets last year.

You might notice differences in styles where there are no flavor or aroma adds.

Back