Time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmiddleton

Reaction score
I've started my first batch of cider, using apple juice, white sugar, a bit of strong tea for tannins, and EC-1118 Champagne yeast. It's been bubbling away since Oct. 18 (10 days as of posting).

I started out with 8 L of juice, and added another 4 L on Oct. 26th at the advice of a friend that I had too much airspace in my carboy. Since then, the airlock has slowed bubbling, though there's still a layer of foam on the top of the cider.

My question is, when should I bottle? BTW, I forgot to take the specific gravity when I started.

I've started my first batch of cider, using apple juice, white sugar, a bit of strong tea for tannins, and EC-1118 Champagne yeast. It's been bubbling away since Oct. 18 (10 days as of posting).

I started out with 8 L of juice, and added another 4 L on Oct. 26th at the advice of a friend that I had too much airspace in my carboy. Since then, the airlock has slowed bubbling, though there's still a layer of foam on the top of the cider.

My question is, when should I bottle? BTW, I forgot to take the specific gravity when I started.

Well, today is October 28, and you added fermentables two days ago. I would say that wait a month, and check the SG. If it's super clear, and the SG remains the same over at least a week, it'd be ok to bottle it. Not before.

Latest posts

Back