The holy grail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good suggestion for adjuncts or a tried and true recipe for a heather ale? Of course, there's no way to tell if it's authentic to style since the recipe died with the Picts, but I'm dying to give it the old college try. Anyone ever tried to do one?

As you've said the pictish ale recipe is long gone, we do a red that utilizes 1oz of heather tips at 10 minutes, it's quite different. I would say try that with your favorite ale and adjust from there, I wouldn't boil for longer than that as they are quite strong. Also most "herbs" create a harsh bitter flavor when boiled for long periods.

Edit: We've recently made a braggot with heather that is probably closer to the pictish ale than the red, it all depends on your tastes though.

As you've said the pictish ale recipe is long gone, we do a red that utilizes 1oz of heather tips at 10 minutes, it's quite different. I would say try that with your favorite ale and adjust from there, I wouldn't boil for longer than that as they are quite strong. Also most "herbs" create a harsh bitter flavor when boiled for long periods.

Edit: We've recently made a braggot with heather that is probably closer to the pictish ale than the red, it all depends on your tastes though.

Thanks. Never occurred to me to start with a braggot. Ah beer....where does it end? Don't answer that.

Back