Help me save the beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
I brewed a Kentucky Common from a thread on this board, and after 3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary, it came out with a strong green apple flavor. I have read many threads on the board about green apple flavor but don't know how to best save this beer.

At first I thought some carbonation and some dryhopping may help, so I moved it into a Corny in the fridge, on 30lbs co2 with 1 oz Willamette hops hanging on a string inside the corny. I had sterlized the hop bag and string beforehand.

2 days later, I could taste no difference, so I removed the corny from the fridge and let it come to room temp, thinking that this may help the hops to condition the beer and mellow the green apple flavor.

Did I harm the beer by removing it from the fridge and taking it off the co2? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
TPH

From the threads I have read, it seems that the best thing you can do for this is to leave the beer alone for a while and let it age.

Thanks Revvy and HomebrewDad! I'll let it sit a month before testing it again.

What a great board!
TPH

So the beer is in a corny at room temperature, under 30lbs pressure, (although I disconnected the co2 when I removed it from the fridge) with no way for the co2 to escape.

Should I degass this corny each day?
Thanks in advance,
TPH.

Back