Confused about re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
OK, so this will be the first time I've attempted this. However, I feel like my confidence level is not very high on whether or not I'm doing this correctly. Out of the many posts and Youtube video's I've seen, I feel confused.

Let's start with what I've done so far and then go on to what I plan.

What I've done:

1. Racked my previous beer to secondary for Dry Hopping
2. Sanitized about 1.5 pints of water and poured into the carboy with the trub/yeast remains
3. Shook the carboy to loosen the yeast
4. Poured into a half gallon jug
IMAG0004.jpg

5. Put into fridge over night
6. approximately 20 hours later
IMAG0007.jpg

My plan was then to extract that excess beer from the top of the yeast/trub and pour the slurry into the next batch when I'm ready to pitch.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to do anything more to the yeast (more washing?).

OK, so this will be the first time I've attempted this. However, I feel like my confidence level is not very high on whether or not I'm doing this correctly. Out of the many posts and Youtube video's I've seen, I feel confused.

Let's start with what I've done so far and then go on to what I plan.

What I've done:

1. Racked my previous beer to secondary for Dry Hopping
2. Sanitized about 1.5 pints of water and poured into the carboy with the trub/yeast remains
3. Shook the carboy to loosen the yeast
4. Poured into a half gallon jug
IMAG0004.jpg

5. Put into fridge over night
6. approximately 20 hours later
IMAG0007.jpg

My plan was then to extract that excess beer from the top of the yeast/trub and pour the slurry into the next batch when I'm ready to pitch.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to do anything more to the yeast (more washing?).

While what you did will work, usually people will wash the yeast first.

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

-bn

Washing the yeast will get rid of some/most/all of the trub that way you can use the yeast for a different recipe and not have to worry about mixing up the flavor profile. (At least that is my noobish understanding.)

While what you did will work, usually people will wash the yeast first.

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

-bn

I've seen that post, however it's still confusing.

In his post, he claims that you will see a separation at the bottom. I don't see it in my jug. I only see it at the top where the beer has separated from the sediment.

If I was to pour this once more into a bunch of other smaller containers, would I have a much thicker sludge at the bottom that should be tossed?

From what I understand, you should have used a lot more water and not wait as long as you did for everything to settle out. If you use more water, shake it up, then wait 20 minutes the trub should settle faster than the yeast. Pour off the yeast in suspension and repeat the process to filter out more junk.

I've seen that post, however it's still confusing.

In his post, he claims that you will see a separation at the bottom. I don't see it in my jug. I only see it at the top where the beer has separated from the sediment.

If I was to pour this once more into a bunch of other smaller containers, would I have a much thicker sludge at the bottom that should be tossed?

When you wash it you will only have to wait 15-20 minutes till separation once you get past the beer, the layers on top are predominately yeast while the the other is trub. So you pour off the top layer into another sterilized/Sanitized jug or (mason jar) then wait another 15 minutes, continue this process until you have a yeast slurry that looks almost unicen in color, and then pitch that, or make a starter after you have collected the majority of the yeast. Or ****... if you making the same beer pitch directly on top of that large cake, Thats what i do

I plan on washing the yeast this next time. However, if anyone is interested I pitched this yeast into my next beer last night at 10:30pm CST. The airlock was going crazy by 2:30am.

Back