What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found out my kitchen scale (for grain and hops) is DRT. Bought a new scale for hops as well as one for grains. I will get these beers I have had planned for months brewed eventually.

Racked my club brewed Saison from secondary to a keg for conditioning. Cleaned the keg, carboy, & other equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Today I brewed 5 gallons of Scottish Ale and printed up/put labels on my Pumpkin Stout.

Met up with 4minmile. Watched him brew a kolsch, sampled his dunkelweizen and ipa, both quite tasty. Was fun.

I FINALLY wrote down some detailed recipes and put them in a proper binder. Most of the recipes I do are first timers to see how I like them. Over the years, four have earned their way into permanent rotation. I used to be able to keep the recipes in my head because they're pretty simple, but now that I'm paying attention to water chemistry, it got too complicated and I had to write down detailed procedures using Kai's brewing logs.

Then I made a 1272 starter for the oatmeal stout I'm making this weekend. (The oatmeal stout is one of the elite four recipes in the book.)

What kind did you go with? Fridge conversion or Son of Fermenter?

Fridge conversion.

20140914_203914.jpg

Picked up this bad boy for $400. I was going to build one, but this deal was too good to pass up. Keezer came with the following:

Johnson temperature regulator with 4 tap riser (Kegerator)
4 stainless steel Perlick taps with shanks and black handles
Boston Lager tap handle
2 like new stainless steel 5.5 Gal Kegs
1 steel Full CO2 exchange gas bottle
1 Aluminum CO2 bottle
2 Gas regulators
1 Gas manifold for the 4 tap system
1 Sankey keg coupler for the commercial keg connections
Misc. keg connections, extra beer line, line cutters, sanitizer, line cleaner, extra gas line, drip pan, and hose clamps.

kegerator.png

Picked up this bad boy for $400. I was going to build one, but this deal was too good to pass up. Keezer came with the following:

Johnson temperature regulator with 4 tap riser (Kegerator)

4 stainless steel Perlick taps with shanks and black handles

Boston Lager tap handle

2 like new stainless steel 5.5 Gal Kegs

1 steel Full CO2 exchange gas bottle

1 Aluminum CO2 bottle

2 Gas regulators

1 Gas manifold for the 4 tap system

1 Sankey keg coupler for the commercial keg connections

Misc. keg connections, extra beer line, line cutters, sanitizer, line cleaner, extra gas line, drip pan, and hose clamps.

Awesome man. Sick deal! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410809588.899821.jpg

I just bought some and drank some.

Went & got the spring water to brew my dampfbier V2 tomorrow & put a 2.5 gallon jug of water in the cooler with 3 bottles of my watermelon hefe for tomorrow as well. Gotta clean the fermenter spigot, bottling bucket & tubing to finish up.

Put away 44 dried bottles & re-arranged the stack of boxes a bit. Gettin ready to clean some tubing & the spigot on the fermenter that'll get filled tomorrow. got another FV to drain & rinse as well. Too bad the fridge guy won't be here till Friday...

Drank one of my honey ales while taking a shower and a looooong 18 hour day. - good night!

Took hops out of the freezer & LME, yeast outta the fridge for PM beer this morning. Won't get evaporator motor in till Friday, but wyeast smack pack still froze! dammit! I hope it'll still work?!

Kegged my IIPA last night. It better be good. I broke my new autosiphon, didn't have the correct diameter of hose for said autosiphon, had to leave at least a gallon in the carboy due to trub.

And the keg kept clogging due to said trub. I really need to get a way to cold crash :(

Kegged my IIPA last night. It better be good. I broke my new autosiphon, didn't have the correct diameter of hose for said autosiphon, had to leave at least a gallon in the carboy due to trub.

And the keg kept clogging due to said trub. I really need to get a way to cold crash :(

Nick, I am not sure if I'm reading this correctly, BUT, if you're having trouble sucking up dryhops/trub/etc., use a sanitized hop bag on the end of your siphon that goes to the bottom of your carboy. This will filter what is going into your keg/bottles and you will get your beer, with, minimal debris. I do this every time I dry hop, which is regularly, and have had no issues with hops making it from my fermenter to my kegs.

Hope this helps. I had the same problem a few years ago- cheers

Well,gonna be a late brew day. Son had to be taken to work 2 hours early, fridge repair guy showed up a few days early (cool!) & got 6lbs of grains crushed for a PM beer.

Nick, I am not sure if I'm reading this correctly, BUT, if you're having trouble sucking up dryhops/trub/etc., use a sanitized hop bag on the end of your siphon that goes to the bottom of your carboy. This will filter what is going into your keg/bottles and you will get your beer, with, minimal debris. I do this every time I dry hop, which is regularly, and have had no issues with hops making it from my fermenter to my kegs.

Hope this helps. I had the same problem a few years ago- cheers

Yeah I should have done that. It was late and I didn't have a bad.

Really the first 3.5 gallons were fine. The next half gallon or so weren't.

:mug:

Just got the dampfbier v2 in the fermenter. Got a 1.052OG. But I'm not holding out high hopes for the yeast. Dang veggie drawer in busted fridge froze the smack pack of yeast. It only swelled a little if at all. Dammit!

Drank a 2 litre bottle of Cream of 3 Crops while working in the back yard. It was just one bottle...:mug:

Came up with a tentative brew schedule for the next couple of months and finalized a recipe for a Flanders Red I hope to brew next weekend. Now to find some Special B...

Cleaned stuff, sanitized stuff, and kegged a batch.

Now, I'm fixing a recipe that brewtoad strangely jacked up last night. We're talking completely different ingredients, and batch size.

Kegged a dunkelweizen. Later I'll set up my equipment so I can start brewing an oatmeal stout first thing tomorrow a.m.

Early AM brewer. Mashed in by 7am All gear ready by 5:45. Had some coffee and wanted to watch sunrise but no dice all clouds. Still great morning

Got my starter boiling for tomorrow's session! Then I'll head across town to my brother's to help him with his first mash attempt.

Harvested a yeast cake, then brewed a batch. 1.080 OG. Quite a few different malts, including Maris Otter, Toasted 2-row, Wheat malt, Pale Chocolate malt, Crystal malt. Also, with Falconer's Flight, and Bravo hops.

Latest posts

Back