How to get a really nutty nut brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirstyutahn

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'd like to brew a nut brown here soon but I'd like to come up with something that really has a nice nutty, toasted flavor. Some of the nut browns I've had were just too subtle. If you could point me towards a great nutty recipe or give me some tips to achieve that kind of a taste I'd appreciate it :). I don't really want to just toss some flavor extract in there I'm more looking for ratios of grains that give me the flavor. I'm allgrain by the way. Thanks guys, this forum is awesome and I've been learning a ton!

In any particular percentage?

Ive been looking at what people usually use to make nut browns and biscuit, and victory seem to always make the list. Since I'm new I just have no idea how much of those grains its going to take. That's where I'm hoping to get some pointers.

Since I'm new I just have no idea how much of those grains its going to take. That's where I'm hoping to get some pointers.

Randy Mosher, in Radical Brewing, suggests using a pretty stupid amount. I'm wanting to say 30-40% or something like that. I'd have to check the book to get the figure, though. Maybe someone else has a copy on hand?

I also use "Special Roast" to provided a nice nuttiness in my browns. Typically use about 5% or so.

If you are new to brewing I suggest you get a nut brown kit, see what they use and then start adjusting after tasting it. That way you start with something you KNOW is a good recipe and you then have a base to work on.

Latest posts

Back