Kegging Pliny the Elder Clone - Want to Bottle Some

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbus

Reaction score
My Pliny clone has been dry hopped to the max and is smelling great and its time to keg it up...but I'd like to bottle a few flip-tops to share with friends. What do you think is the best way to go about this?

Here's what I was thinking...
-Covering both the end of my auto-siphon and the end of my tubing with small, paint strainer bags to keep out hop particles and first racking to my keg (I also have a stainless steel polarware strainer that I could put over a funnel on the keg for an additional filter, but I don't know if this will introduce oxygen in the process?)
-Once the keg is filled... take the strainers off the auto-siphon, hook up my bottling wand, and siphon some of the now filtered beer from the keg to my bottles.

Thoughts?

Are you planning on refermenting in the bottles? If so, then all you have to do is add the correct amount of priming solution and rack into the bottle as usual! Just be sure to scale down the solution quantities appropriately. Oh, and filling bottles out of your keg will give you a chance of getting a clearer beer! Racking, when done with care, leaves a good amount of sediment behind!

If your concern is about filtering, a few things can help. First of all, the small strainers you had planned on placing around the auto-siphon will help keep out bigger particles. Personally, I would skip the funnel idea because of oxidation; the aforementioned strainers should do a decent job. Second, if you're afraid of siphoning up a noticeable amount of yeast and hop matter, try crashing your beer for a day or so at cold temperatures before transferring the beer into the keg. Yeast and other fine matter tend to settle at the bottom of the container when you do this and a careful siphoning job will leave you with a clearer product.

I should have mentioned...I am just going to use a Coopers Carb Drop in each bottle to make things easy. Have the beer cold crashing now, and I agree with your suggestion to forget about the additional funnel/strainer

You could also carb all your beer up in the keg, then fill a couple bottles from the keg when you hit your carb level you want. Gives you the advantage of nice clear beer with no yeasties in the bottom of the bottle.

How you fill the bottles from the keg can be as simple as running a tube from a cobra tab into the bottle to a slight modification of a racking cane known affectionately on HBT as "no stinking beer gun"
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Or you could go all out and get a counter pressure filler or a Blichmann beer gun.

I have a Blichmann and I love it for bottling some up to take to functions or send to competition.

Back