The Brewing Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messi

Reaction score
Hey all-

Just wondering if there are any products made to cover that wonderful smell that is released during the boiling process. Apparently, not all roommates like the smell of a boiling wort. What is wrong with them?

Thanks

ummmm....

New roomies? ;)

j/k Really any of the new air fresheners out there I find to be overwhelming and annoying and should cover the great aroma that is HB... I've found anything Febreze tends to eat the smell out of anything....

(why does that not read right? :drunk: :D )

Ize

EDIT: Dammit I like olllllo's answer better! :)

Do they drink the beer? If so, tell them to buck up or no beer. But I assume not because they don’t know a good thing when they smell it and need a kick in the dinger. Either way fill those sniveling cry baby’s pillows with trub so they dream about that wonderful smell like the rest of us semi-normal people. Bring them over from the dark side of sobriety.

You could try a make-shift setup with a fan to pull the exhaust out a window or something. Or you could just follow olllo's method.

hell....SWMBO and I want to figure out how to make brewing candles....just so we can have that smell whenever

Chimmy...dude...where can I find a SWMBO like that ;)? The wifey, she loves most of my beers (with the exception of the spruce porter), but she hates the smell of wort and hops boiling. Luckily I have 2 turkey fryers, so it's not a huge deal, but yesterday, I did a very small supplementary steeping with some hops and maltodextrin to augment my brune abbey...and with such a small amount, I just did it on the kitchen range. When she got home (like 8 hours after I did it) she claimed it was gonna give her a headache.

Personally I love the smell...not sure what the deal is. But since I have turkey fryers, it's no big deal anymore. Now, if I had roommates and they were complaining, it'd be a different story. I'd look 'em in the eye and tell them, with a stone-cold glare, that I am making beer. This is sacred. Do not f*ck with that. Unfortunately, that response wouldn't go over too well w/ SWMBO. But she did, god love her, put up with probably 12 or 13 batches that I did in the house.

If every action has an opposite and equal reaction then the following may be true :
1) Good beer boiling gives off beer smells and the opposite of beer smell.
2) The opposite of beer smell would be bad beer boiling
3) Bad beer boiling gives of not beer smell and beer smell.

ergo boil up a small pan with bud / millar in it at the same time to mask the smell.

messi said:
Hey all-
Apparently, not all roommates like the smell of a boiling wort.

Apparently you need new roomates :)

Seriously tho....... for me at least, and im sure im not alone. the smell from the boil is so luscious, that, days later I literally get romantic, olfactory flashbacks of the smell of the wort from the day i brewed, and jones for more!

oh, btw, did anyone mention you need new roomates :)

mmditter said:
Get some soy wax, and mix in some powdered hop pellets and some dme. I bet it will smell like brewing when it burns. :)

well it will either smell like brewing or we will have to vacate the house for a couple hours :p

In my hop gardening book it says you can put old hops, past their prime for brewing, in pillow cases. Get that fresh hop scent at sleepy time! :fro:

Do this for your roomys, this would take the place a frabreese and subliminally convert them to the liking of hops.

Or you could grab a new box or two of light bulbs. At the time of your boil dip each one into the kettle just hitting the top part of the bulb.

Then proceed to put them in all of the rooms, expecially your roomys bedrooms. This way in weeks later that can smell the same IPA you where brewing.:p

I tell you it works. I did this with garlic juice once. My roomy hated garlic with a passion. It drove him crazy :cross:

Yah, I know. I can picture him coming home with one of his bar tramps and then turning on the light in his bedroom only have the powerful smell of garlic to ruin the moment.

Mind you it would be in the heat of passion. It would take some time for the bulb to heat up too. :D

Next time start singing...

Ooh, ooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell?
Ooh, ooh that smell
The smell of beer surrounds you.

Did I tell you one time I put saran wrap over the toilet boil?

Roomy went in to go take a #2. Since I was a good boy I left the seat down. :D

If you want to see pissed off you should have seen his face when came out of the crapper!!!!

It was classic!!

We used to do the Saran-Wrap-on-the-toilet-bowl trick at the store I worked, usually to the bosses. We got the bosses' wife once or twice (she was cool as hell, she'd just get us back). The best was her husband, though; we'd do it right before we left for the night, so when he went to take a leak, half-asleep at 5:00 in the morning, he wouldn't notice. We'd see it crumpled up, wet, in the trash can the next day, and of course he was too embarrased to say anything about it.

Or, we'd just fill the bathroom completely with milk crates. Anything to f*ck with him. :D

I helped fill an entire office with crumpled newspaper once. Did it on a weekend. It took a ton of paper, but was completely worth it. :D

I love that freakin' smell. I want to make another batch of brew right now, just so I can smell it.

Back