One down and hopefully lots more to come.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrunkChef

Reaction score
Well guys I spent 3.5 hours brewing up what I hope to be one hell of an English IPA, and it had better be since I was up until 2:30 am Brewing it up. This was my first brew and it was nothing but a success (So Far). Here's the Rundown:

Extract:

9 lbs of Light DME
.5 lbs of Crystal 40
.5 lbs of Crystal 120
.5 lbs of Biscuit

Other Ingredients:

6 gallons of Distilled bottled water
1 tbsp Irish Moss
Some bottled Foam Control
Nottingham ale yeast

Hops Schedule:

2 oz Magnum @ 70
1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20
1 oz Kent Goldings @ 10

2 oz of Kent Golding's will be dry hopped in a couple weeks

Everything went really well, my neighbor stopped by to give me a hand (and bring the beer). We steeped the Grains for 30 minutes @ 150*, than brought the wort up to a nice rolling boil and added the Magnum which were quite fresh and ORGANIC (damn Hippies, haha). once we had a nice looking boil we began to slowly add the Extract, at 20 minutes went ahead and threw in the the EKG and than again at 10. I must say that the Wort had a really nice dark reddish color and a great hoppy smell. I filled the bath tub up and dropped in the pot. With the help of 2 frozen water jugs we were able to drop the temp to 80* in just over 40 minutes. Since I was tired I didn't have the patients to wait until the wort was at 70*, I pitched my dried Nottingham at 80*. Hopefully it wont get to many off flavors. I was extremely happy to see that my wort was bubbling away when I woke up at 10. This was a blast and I can't wait until Brew day 2 (although a Wort chiller is on the shopping list).

This beer will be in primary for 15 days and than will be racked to secondary where it will be dry hopped for 7 more.

The beer should end up as follows according to BeerCalculus.com:

FG of 1.021
16* SRM
28.4 HBU
67.5 IBU
And the best part: 9.1% abv

Here are some pictures, Cheers!

Beer Brewing Album pictures by BrooksBrandon - Photobucket

Awsome!! great start! hope it turns out great! i wouldn't worry about the 80F start, as long as you maintain lower brweing temperture after that point you'l be fine.

Back