Yeast shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Saved some yeast in gallon jug, sitting in fridge for 2 months. Does it ever go bad?? Of course I would make a starter next time I used it. What is the longest you have stored recycled yeast??

Thanks

Saved some yeast in gallon jug, sitting in fridge for 2 months. Does it ever go bad?? Of course I would make a starter next time I used it. What is the longest you have stored recycled yeast??

Thanks

People have reported success after 6 months to a year.

Maybe you can decant, make a 2L starter and put it back in the same jug to give it more life.

Anyway, I made a 1.5L starter (stir plate) on Friday night with 3 month old wyeast. It fermented out by this morning. I plan to decant it and make a 1L starter for brewing tonight.

And yeah it will go bad (die out). Check the calculators.

Good idea Badbrew, by making a starter every 4-6 months it is basically starting over the shelf life! It's not that I don't brew often, just don't always use certain yeasts.

Good idea Badbrew, by making a starter every 4-6 months it is basically starting over the shelf life! It's not that I don't brew often, just don't always use certain yeasts.

If that's the case, you should just make some slants.

I have some six month old yeast (Wyeast 1099 Whitbread) I recently acquired and pitched it into a 2l starter 24 hours ago. Nothing has happened except that the break settled. SG is still 1.040. Anyone think it'll still take off?

I have some six month old yeast (Wyeast 1099 Whitbread) I recently acquired and pitched it into a 2l starter 24 hours ago. Nothing has happened except that the break settled. SG is still 1.040. Anyone think it'll still take off?

6 months should still have viable yeast, although a liter of 1.040 is probably going to be a little much for them at first.

Speaking of decanting, I don't wash my yeast or anything. I just dump it in the jug from the fermenting bucket and store then reuse. I tried to wash and decant but the slurry always mixes with the clear wort and I lose most if the yeast. Any tips/tricks??

6 months should still have viable yeast, although a liter of 1.040 is probably going to be a little much for them at first.

Y'know...I was worried about this. I debated with myself for a long while before pitching into 1 L and then after doing that I though it over and threw another liter on top. I should've started small, huh? Trying to hurry things almost always ends up causing more problems than it solves.

Y'know...I was worried about this. I debated with myself for a long while before pitching into 1 L and then after doing that I though it over and threw another liter on top. I should've started small, huh? Trying to hurry things almost always ends up causing more problems than it solves.

It may just take off fine, but take a little while. I just figure at that point it can't hurt to baby them a little and get them awake.

Back