Doppelbock hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I have a doppelbock recipe that calls for 20IBU's of Hallertauer hops. I only have Tetnang and Saaz on hand, are those fair substitutions? There isn't supposed to be any hop flavor or aroma in this beer so it shouldn't really matter, right?

Perfectly fine with either. There's no hop character to a dopplebock, just a bit of bitterness to offset the sweetness, so I'm assuming the recipe only has a 60 minute addition. I'd probably go with the Tettnang, but either would be fine.

Perfectly fine with either. There's no hop character to a dopplebock, just a bit of bitterness to offset the sweetness, so I'm assuming the recipe only has a 60 minute addition. I'd probably go with the Tettnang, but either would be fine.

Even if it was supposed to have a hop character, I think the recommended replacements for haller would be tett/saaz anyway.

Just make sure to get your IBUs right.

I use american magnum in those and other beers with only a 60 minute addition, in general.

Nobody has called me on it yet and I am happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back