blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
so yesterday i brewed my first fruit beer using 8+ lbs of cherries. now i'm using a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket for stage one, but in the interest of avoiding a blow off, i replaced the airlock with a blow off tube. i fit a piece of tubing through the rubber gromet in the lid and fed the other end into an old growler bottle.

the question is, do i just leave the end open to atmosphere aka sitting in the bottle or should i have it in a few inches of water similar to the airlock concept?

thanks for the help.

Put it in water. Otherwise, there's not really an "airlock". Your beer is potentially exposed to nasties.

This was taken from Stonehelm

Click here to read a little more about airlocks

"...you can make your own airlock. To do this you force a length of siphon pipe into a bung and place the bung in the neck of your fermenter, you then place the other end of the pipe in to a glass of water that stands next to your fermenter. This method is favored by some beer makers especially in America (enclosed fermentation). It can also help with keeping clean if you find that you get lots of wine must bubbling though your airlock. A second thing to note is that some people do not use water in there airlocks, but instead place yeast killing agents like hydrogen peroxide, or water with a large dose of sodium metabisulphite dissolved in it, while this can lower the small chance of a wild yeast entering though the airlock it also means that if the container is knocked or if one is not careful in removing the airlock some of this liquid could enter the wine and the result would be much worse than if it was just water."

You might try using bleachy water or some other sanitizer in your bucket, to help keep the tube aseptic.

Back