Another RIMS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you RIMS users: how much water are you using in your mash? I think typically most people do 1.25 to 1.5 quarts per pound of grain.

I ask becuase i am assuming the recriculating process removes some of the water that would usually "sit" with the grains.

I typically use 1.5 qts/lb, but it varies depending on the batch size and grain bill. In any case, it's been my experience that the ratio is not critical so long as it is not too thick or thin. I don't even bother with compensating for wort in the pump and lines. That extra volume is negligible in my system and unless you have extremely long lines or some other unusual configuration, it should be the same for yours. This question sometimes comes up about the volume beneath a false bottom. The 1.5 qts/lb takes care of that too with some to spare.

For those of you RIMS users: how much water are you using in your mash? I think typically most people do 1.25 to 1.5 quarts per pound of grain.

I ask becuase i am assuming the recriculating process removes some of the water that would usually "sit" with the grains.

I may not be understanding your question... but RIMS does not use any more water than gravity systems or whatever the method. You can drain some wort from the MLT into a pitcher and gently pour it back in, and repeat until the grain bed is packed down, preventing bits of husk from coming out... or you can have an electric pump do the same thing.... I am oversimplifying... but the point is that the different setups to produce wort all expose the grain to the same general process... as said before... 1.25 - 1.5 quarts per pound.

Back