Question about treetop applejuice recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I got a recipe off of here and it was basically 5 gallons of cheap applejuice and Nottingham yeast.

I asked these questions on another forum but didn't get an answer.

A few questions.

1. Can I get away without using yeast nutrient?

2. I'm going to make two batches, one normal and one "strong." I'm wantin to make this puppy as alcoholic as I can with it still tasting good. How much sugar can I add and get away with? Also should it be regular or
brown sugar? I have Nottingham, sf-04, white wine, and champagne yeast. Thoughts?

yes, you really need the yeast nutrient.

if you add too much sugar, its going to give a funny taste to the finished cider. apple cider is usually not much different than beer for strength. champagne yeast will go to 20% ABV and leave your cider bone dry.

I would stick to some of the established recipes. look for 'apfelwein' too.

What if I don't use the yeast nutrient? What's the end result? There's a simple recipe on here where it's not used.

Yeast nutrient gives the yeast nutrients that it needs to reproduce and eat (contains yeast cell husks, vitamins, nitrogen sources, etc). Using it you will probably notice a faster fermentation period (I do at least). It also helps when using high gravity must/wort in preventing a stuck fermentation. You don't need it, it's just another tool in the tool box to use when you feel it's right.

Back