Hung Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
I brewed a "ONO Hefeweizen" on Sunday and Pitched Wyeast 320 and checked it the next morning and everything was great, lots of activity! today i took a gravity reading and it was at a 1.026 from a OG of 1.048 and all activity seemed to stop, i can clearly see that its not done fermenting, so i took some advise from other threads that i have read here and gave it a good shake to try and re-suspend the yeast and get some activity going again, i just wanted to double check with the experts here that that was a good idea, and maybe anything else that i can do!! thanks all!!

Can't hurt.
How do you know it's not done?
What is the expected FG?
What are your fementation temps?
How long has it been in the primary?
What yeast is being used?

i'm not sure what the FG is supposed to be, but i would think it would be lower then that! i have been keeping it between 67-71 degrees, its been in the primary for about 4 1/2 days and i used white labs 320 yeast.

Here's the classic answers:

1. Not enough yeast pitched
2. Inadequate aeration
3. Wort temperature too low
4. Yeast strain flocculated early (rousing yeast may help)
5. Fermentation is finished, not stuck (take specific gravity to check)

So yeah that would be a low abv. so not 5 unless your grain bill is off.
Not 3 either.
Give it a little time and monitor the gravity.

Looks like rousing is your first best step followed by pitching more yeast.

well its been two days now and no sign of re-activity, should i pitch a whole new vial of yeast or just some?

Back