can I use this metal "tea bag" for hops? (photo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
tea_strainer.jpg

I saw this in a shop and took a pic with the cell phone.
As you can see it's quite big. Large enough for a couple of ounces of hops, I think.
Is this somehow better than a hop bag in the boil or for dry hopping?
is the mesh fine enough for pellets?

What's it made out of? Stainless? Even the mesh?

Seems like I've seen guys on here who use things like that for dry hopping in a keg. (Probably wouldn't fit through the neck of a carboy.) Not sure about the boil though. Hope you get a definitive answer as I'm curious as well.

I use smaller versions (SS tea balls) for dry hopping in kegs. I use pellets and they work great. Just boil to sanitize.

What's it made out of? Stainless? Even the mesh?

Seems like I've seen guys on here who use things like that for dry hopping in a keg. (Probably wouldn't fit through the neck of a carboy.) Not sure about the boil though. Hope you get a definitive answer as I'm curious as well.

:confused: LOL didn't think about the carboy neck !

I think it's SS...
should I use this for the boil better?
is it better then a bag?

I generally use Tea balls for hop additions with good results. The cheap ones fall apart after 5 or 6 boils, but I did get them from Walmart. I need to find some that are more durable.

I use a similiar item for dry hopping in kegs. I attach a piece of dental floss and suspend it in there so I can pull it out when I desire.

I use a similiar item for dry hopping in kegs. I attach a piece of dental floss and suspend it in there so I can pull it out when I desire.

plus, you get a wonderful minty aroma from the floss :D !!!

IMHO the stainless mesh is not fine enough for pellet hops going into the boil kettle. Looks like it would work for whole hops though.

I use the smaller, $2 ones from Wally World. They work fine in the boil. The smaller mesh holds the pellet bits in pretty good.

You really don't want to put more than a half ounce of pellets in one. The pellets will swell up and fill the tea ball to the point where you get bad utilization if you use more than a half ounce per ball. I have four of them now.

Latest posts

Back