Cali Common Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of using WLP830 (German Lager) to make a Cali Common later this year (for a fireworks party), and i'm fairly unfamiliar with the style itself. In looking around, i haven't seen anyone use this type of yeast before, so i had some questions.

In reading the Steam Beer chapter of "Designing Great Beers" Ray Daniels mentions that the style presumably originated from German immigrants using lager yeast w/o the means for chilling. So, that leads me to think WLP830 would be a viable option for a common.

In general, though, given "normal" conditions (proper starter, 60-65F ferment temp, etc.) does a higher ferment temp shorten the time required for a full fermentation (4-7 days)? Or should i still expect a lager-like ferment time?

I'm trying to plan out the brew schedule, as i'll be whipping up a few batches for this party...

The warmer temps should put the fermentation time closer to the time it takes ale yeasts, but 4-7 days is too short for full ferment - even for regular ales.

Back