Simcoe IPA -dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Well i'm looking at picking up this kit for my next extract batch-
Simcoe Select IPA w/Munton's Gold Dry Yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

And for something a bit different I thought i'd try dry hopping for the first time. I thought i'd try Amarillo or Cascade to get a bit more grapefruity taste. If I use 1 oz. pellets at what time should I add them to the secondary. I'm thinking i'll be doing 1 week primary and 2 week secondary. Also do I have to do anything to sterilize the hop pellets before throwing them in?

Here's the quick recipe:
1. Steep crushed grains for 10-30 minutes at 155 degrees.
2. Add malt extract while brew pot is off the burner.
3. Bring to a boil and add ½ oz Simcoe bittering hops. (60 Minutes)
4. Add 1/2 oz Simcoe flavor hops for the last 40 minutes.
5. Add 1 oz Simcoe flavor hops with 20 minutes remaining.
6. Add 1 oz Simcoe aroma hops for last 2 minutes then remove from heat.
7. Cool, top up to 5 gallon mark and add yeast.
8. Ferment and bottle. (2 stage fermentation is recommended)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Amarillo or Cascade are both good dry hops. I'm also a big fan of Centennial. Simcoe is supposedly a nice dry hop too, but i have not personally used it.

If i were you i would suggest doing at least a 2 week primary, and then another week in secondary with the dry hop. You don't need to sanitize the pellets, just toss them into the secondary and rack the beer on top of them.

If i had a suggestion it would be to not use the Muntons yeast. I have heard nothing but bad things about it. Pick up a packet of US-05. I think you'll have much better luck with that.

That sounds fine, Paul. I recently finished an IPA and dry hopped for about 4 days in the secondary - in other words, racked to the secondary and let it sit for a few days, then added the dry hops four days before I planned to bottle.

Have you thought about dry hopping with more Simcoe? Using another variety would add complexity/depth, but there's also something cool about completing your Simcoe-centric ale with more Simcoe.

Jim

I had thought about dry hopping with Simcoe but I thought it would be nice to introduce a bit of that fruity aroma. Guess I could give simcoe a try this time around for dry hop. I have yet to taste simcoe so it'll be a fun adventure.

I've now made 3 batches all with the muntons yeast and have had no issues as of yet. Autumn Amber Ale, Midwest Porter, and currently in secondary a Honey Bee Ale. Is US-05 a dry yeast as well? My LHBS is Midwest so I will more than likely get what they supply, i'll look into the US-05 and see if they have it.

jjp36- Why the 2 week primary? Have anything to do with this being an IPA?

Thanks

US-05 is dry. Its a popular yeast. Midwest definitely carries it, here. I've never used the Muntons yeast, but i have heard that it has attenuation problems.

I just find that I get a better finished product if I leave it on the yeast longer. Especially with a beer like this that is around 7%, a longer primary will only help. Usually i leave my beers on the yeast for at least 3 weeks and then if i need to dry hop i'll rack to a secondary and let it sit on the dry hop for a week. If your still set on having this in bottles within 3 weeks, i would do a 2 week primary and then a week on the hops. If you can wait 3 weeks would probably be even better. It gives the yeast some time to clean up after they are done fermenting.

If you've yet to taste Simcoe, don't cloud the issue with another variety of hops. Use Simcoe to dry-hop as well, so you can be absolutely certain the hops you're tasting are Simcoe. Makes for a very pleasant learning experience, no? ;)

Bob

jjp36- Ahh, I think i'll give that yeast a go, might be able to do a straight swap out when I buy the kit. I think i'll take that suggestion of leaving the beer on the yeast for a bit longer, makes sense. I could wait 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary or 3 weeks primary and 1 week secondary.

NQ3X- Very good point about dry hopping with Simcoe, it would be a very good learning experience. A delicious 5 gallon one at that.

jjp36- Ahh, I think i'll give that yeast a go, might be able to do a straight swap out when I buy the kit. I think i'll take that suggestion of leaving the beer on the yeast for a bit longer, makes sense. I could wait 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary or 3 weeks primary and 1 week secondary.

NQ3X- Very good point about dry hopping with Simcoe, it would be a very good learning experience. A delicious 5 gallon one at that.

I would do 3 weeks primary and 1 week secondary with the dry hop. I think you'll be pleased with the results. The only all Simcoe beer I've had is the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA, but if yours comes out anything like that it should be delicious. Good luck! :mug:

What type of malt did you use for the boil? With extracts, I prefer dry malt because of the lighter color.

Back