dry hopping overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
So I didn't realize since this is only my second time using leaf hops for dry hopping, that they would take up so much space in the carboy. I used one ounce and within an hour or two, the airlock was full of beer! I switched to a blow off for now, but here's my question: I am using a two step dry hop schedule by adding the ounce now, then another ounce in 1 week, then crash cool and keg one week after that. The problem is that there is no room for more hops in there. Can I rack the beer to a 6 gal carboy in a week and add the additional ounce, or will taking the beer off the current hops so soon negate the purpose of dry hopping? I suppose I could just use this ounce and omit the second addition, but I'd rather not. Any suggestions?

Personally, I'd just take a couple ounces out of the current carboy before adding the next round of hops. Is losing half a beer worth all that extra effort of unnecessary racking?

Back