Ends in d-a-y IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
So here I sit beginning my first self-made IPA recipe. I bought Beer Tools Pro and designed from scratch my IPA purposefully not looking at any other recipe to ensure this was MINE. Here's the skinny:

Sherman Tank's Ends in d-a-y - India Pale Ale (IPA) B - American IPA
6.5 gal (S.G.: 1.053) 1 hr 0.75 gal 0.0 gal
5.52 gal (S.G.: 1.062)
Efficiency: 75.0% Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 0.75 gal

12.0 lb (92.3%) 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 lb (7.7%) Crystal 60
1.5 oz (42.9%) Simcoe (13.0%) - boiled 60 min
1.0 oz (28.6%) Mt. Hood (4.0%) - boiled 5.0 min
Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

1.0 oz (28.6%) Willamette (5.0%) - dry Hop

I bought my very own grain mill and was like a kid on Christmas. I'm currently letting the grist set for a 30-minute protein rest at 122 deg. Then a 60-minute saccharification rest at 152 deg before a 5-minute mash out at 168, then a batch sparge at 170 deg.

Here goes nothing...

Hey one question...why don't I see my listing of what's in primary, secondary, bottles like I se when others post?

Since I want this to be all YOURS I won't tell you that it needs more hops in the end.

Enjoy the brew!

Since I want this to be all YOURS I won't tell you that it needs more hops in the end.

Enjoy the brew!

Nice! Thanks. I'll add the other .5 oz of simcoe in the last five as well.

This all grain stuff is harder than it sounds. I got the protein rest temp spot on then heated 8 qts to 200 degree to get the mash temp to 153. I added the water and the temp only went to 148. So I tried adding a little more...nothing. I had to drain 5 qts of the mash water and heat it around 190 and added it. BAM! spot on to 153. Hope it all goes well from here on...

That will make a nice IPA. If you throw in a bunch of hops with some basic grain, you have a good IPA. Looks like you got that covered

What was your IBU lookin like?

That will make a nice IPA. If you throw in a bunch of hops with some basic grain, you have a good IPA. Looks like you got that covered

What was your IBU lookin like?

Beer Tools puts it at 74. I used whole Simcoe and Pellet Mt. Hood. I have pellet for the Willamette as well. I just bottled an Imperial IPA that I dry hopped with 2 oz of Citra 10 days ago. The hop aroma and bite was almost too much, but I expect some mellowing over the month of conditioning time.

You can edit your signature to put in whatever you want. Use the "User CP" link on the left side of the light brown bar near the top of the page. Scroll down the page until you see "Edit Signature" on the left side. Then you can put in what you want to appear below your posts.

Back