What am I missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
I want to make a single tier stand, propane, 3 burners, 2 pumps, on castors, all the usual stuff.

I made my stand in autocad, I need some metal advice. I based my dimensions off my keggle and plan on using 1" X 1" angle @ .125 thick to hold the keggles and with a 1" X 1" square tubing as a border. I'm going to store the keggles underneath the stand when not in use to save space.

I would like some advice on the metal I should use and if I should consider anything else for my stand.

Beer-Stand.jpg

Beer-Stand-angle.jpg

Beer-Stand-Front.jpg

Looks good but you probably wont be able to see inside your kettles. Unless your really tall.

Can't tell if you have allowed for them in your drawing, but provide enough height in that stand to fit some wind shields for the burners. Also, definitely add drip shields for the pumps.

Are you sure 1x1 is going to be strong enough?

Cheers!

The height should be fine but I'll double check my numbers and add a height measurement.

I was thinking of the shields also just didn't get them in the drawing. I'll add them tonight.

Not sure if 1" X 1" was strong enough either but there is angle and tubular welded together. Each 1" X 1".

Thanks guys! Keep them coming.

The 1x1 square tube will be plenty strong. That is, it won't fail. However, IMO, without corner gussets it will be flexible and probably will not give you a warm fuzzy feeling with 2 or 3 full keggles on top. I would either step up the tubing size or add gussets in 2 directions on a few of the uprights to prevent side to side and front to back movement.

I like having the keggles tucked away for storage. It will also leave you a mostly flat surface on top to store other items like the bottling bucket, hoses, etc.

ChandlerBang said:

I had been following that thread very closely and that's where a few of my ideas came from. I wanted my kettles to sit in the recess of the top and bottom to give a little more support. I didn't want to adjust the burner heights every time I was done brewing thou. I'm not sure if he does but for me it appears that way.

Here is the close up of one of the corners and with a slight color change.
It also shows where il would weld the seams together. the supports would also be 1' X 1" tubular.

Beer-Stand-Close-up.jpg

I had been following that thread very closely and that's where a few of my ideas came from. I wanted my kettles to sit in the recess of the top and bottom to give a little more support. I didn't want to adjust the burner heights every time I was done brewing thou. I'm not sure if he does but for me it appears that way.

I know I wouldn't want to adjust the burners everytime. That would be annoying.
Maybe if the burners have 2 height settings that are super easy to go from up to down and back. Up would extend them up through the opening a little to maximize the space below and down would be the proper setting for in-use. I see overall height as a possible concern, but I'm only 5' 10".

Back