Dry Malt Extract vs Liquid Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorchingice

Reaction score
I have bought kits, they usually include some dry malt extract and some liquid malt extract. My question is what is the actual difference other than one is dehydrated?

I mean I know powdered milk tastes bad when made IMO, but for malt extract what is the difference ?

Dry Malt Extract seems like it would save money and storage space by being dehydrated but will the flavor be better using all liquid malt extract?

Also, when planning recipes, does 1lb of dry extract = 1 lb liquid ? It would seem 1 lb of liquid would weigh less when dry so say 1/2lb dry = 1lb liquid? Or is there a formula?

Last question:

When brewing using Dry extract/liquid extract partial mash kits, you boil your wort for 1 hour. You add the DRY malt extract at the beginning of the 60 minute boil, and you add the Liquid at the end of the boil (15 minutes before being done) Why is this the way it is setup? Why must you boil the dry extract longer than the liquid? It would seem as if the dry is the same as the liquid minus the water.

Does anyone have information about this?

Is it better to plan an extract ingredient recipe using all liquid malt, all dry malt, or is the partial liquid/partial dry malt extract just a way to save space without giving up good flavor by using as little dry malt extract as possible
?

I have bought kits, they usually include some dry malt extract and some liquid malt extract. My question is what is the actual difference other than one is dehydrated?

That's the difference. One is dried, one is not. They are the same for all practical purposes.

Generally, the DME has more fermentables per pound, since LME contains some water. I like this "gauge" for making recipes:
1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME

It doesn't matter if it's LME or DME for boiling or adding late in the boil. Some people claim that the LME more easily scorches or carmelizes, so they may add it later in the boil. You don't HAVE to boil any extract at all- it's already been processed, but it's usually part of the recipe to boil some or all of the extract for most of the boil.

If you don't boil the extract the way the recipe calls for, it will change the hops utilization, so for new brewers it's easier to just follow the recipe or ask for help with calculations (or use software) to change the timing of the extract additions. Boil size matters, too, in hops utilization. So, often people will follow a recipe for a smaller 2.5 gallon boil and then add majority of the the extract late in the boil to more closely approximate the all-grain recipe.

I don't like the canned extracts, but fresh bulk LME is fine to use. I prefer DME since I think it's easier to handle and store. I have noticed that LME comes in more "flavors", and usually in 3.3 pound cans, so that's why you'll sometimes see 3.3 pounds of LME and 2 pounds of DME in the same recipe.

Back