chill haze - I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
My beers turn out very clear, but if I stick a bottle in my fridge, it goes hazy. If I take it out the fridge and leave, it goes clear again. Commercial brewers use an enzyme to stop this I think, what is it, and can amateurs get hold of it?

I normally mash at 68 deg c, sparge with water at 60 deg c until run off is SG 1.010. I use maris otter pale malt grain, some crystal, amber and rye malts, sometimes, never more than 12 oz of additional grains in a 6 gallon brew, thanks.

The best way to fight chill haze is using kettle finings to create strong break and to chill as quickly as possible. Commercial brewers filter at like 32F to remove it.

Yes that is chill haze. You don't need an enzyme to get rid of it. It can be caused by a number of things, but with your mash temp and base malt, it's unlikely the mash itself... it's most likely your sparge technique. You should be sparging with water at ~76°C and the wort into the kettle should be running clear. Get a good hot break (rolling boil) and cool quickly to get a good cold break. Also, use Irish moss or Whirlfloc ~15 min before the end of the boil. That should clear up your problem.

Back