Digging up Neighbor's hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
My neighbor has hops (Willamette I think) growing on a chain link fence̹ They have been there for years and she asked if I wanted do dig up the roots (rhizomes) and transplant them-she hate the things!

Is there anything special I need to consider before doing this?

I recently dug up my hops to relocate them from the raised vegetable garden. The only thing I would mention is that the rootball was the size of a pumpkin and the roots had taken over the entire 6x12' raised bed (I was wondering why my tomatoes were sucking hind tit). Be prepared for some serious digging if they've been there a while, but the roots don't seem to go very deep.

Maybe you should contact someone that sells Hops Rizhomes.. you might have a gold mine there for all of us... seperating the Rizhomes. One turns into 20.

jay_mack1 said:
Maybe you should contact someone that sells Hops Rizhomes.. you might have a gold mine there for all of us... seperating the Rizhomes. One turns into 20.

Great idea!

As for kissing her - the wife will have an issue with that!:mug:

OK OK I will kiss her-she is older by about 20 years but what the Hell! Free hops=creepy old lady kiss!

One thing to consider is that you might want to get this year's harvest out of them first? If it's a big big vine, it might be worth waiting till fall? I don't know how well that'll work, but see if you can't convince her to wait till after harvest.

Crazytwoknobs said:
One thing to consider is that you might want to get this year's harvest out of them first? If it's a big big vine, it might be worth waiting till fall? I don't know how well that'll work, but see if you can't convince her to wait till after harvest.

I actually harvested them last fall, and because of the way she has them trained on the north side of the fence in the shade most of the day they did not yield a lot of hops about 1 OZ dry...there are tons of bines and leaves but the placement is not great. I see your point, but I already promised...and then there is that kiss. Nothing a shot of Bourbon can't cure.
:cross:

Again I say, have the wife kiss her instead. Then you get
1. chicks making out and
2. you don't have to kiss an old lady, just YOUR old lady :p

Ok, in that case, the other thing to consider is that my shipping address is in Chicago.....

>.>

<.<

Chris_Dog said:
When I read the title of this thread I imagined you dressed like a ninja digging in the dark :D

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering how you were gonna hide the fact that the neighbor has no more hops and you all of a sudden have a very fresh mound of dirt with some very familiar vines growing out of it.

Given the nature of hop roots, you'll have to dig out a fairly large area (5-6') to ensure you get all of the plant. Otherwise, each cut root will start a new plant.

Sorry, no Beer Ninja action...though it may come to that for some hop fiends! Thanks for the funny replies! I will dig this week and let you know how it goes. Another neighbor runs a nursery and is going to help me, so I won't be totally clueless.

Free love and nickel beer.

Tim

Back