Live and learn. This is how my brew day ended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I had such a good brew day. Good efficiency, a nice hoppy IPA. Just collected 5.5 gal. and was shimmying the carboy into a brewhauler, and, well, it tipped too far. Severe bummer. Be careful out there, I was wearing sandals and got cut up too. Now I can relax with a home brew and think about what a good beer that would have been. Enjoy the picture.

DSC_0011.jpg

broken hearted.jpg

I feel for you, man. A similar incident is what moved me over to Better Bottles. They may have drawbacks, but I once dropped a full one at the cost of only a few drops (and a few gray hairs).

MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE
MILK CRATE

and...MILK CRATE... ;)...sorry for your loss...

Oh boy that sucks! At least you did not get cut. I had a pint glass do a number on my hand once, I'd hate to see what a carboy could do.

MILK CRATE, What a GOOD idea...

Better Bottle. A BETTER idea . . .

I know this is an ongoing controversy, but I just don't get glass carboys.

Edit: I am sorry for your lost beer and happy for your mostly uninjured feet (and the rest of you).

Now that's freakin scary. I'm raising a pint to your loss right now, and am also glad you didn't get cut up like you could have.

:(

I hate to say this, but it looks like your brew had a gravity problem. ;)

I always get nervous moving my carboys around. I think I might have to try the milk crate idea for my own piece of mind.

A bit of sturdy foam at bottom of milk crate also helps,

I think of it as a shock absorber, lessening the blow of a possible crate drop (and maybe collecting broken bits within the crate?).

Where are you guys getting these milk crates, anyway? I looked around and couldn't find any real milk crates, only the cheap plastic consumer stuff that I wouldn't trust a full carboy in.

Where are you guys getting these milk crates, anyway? I looked around and couldn't find any real milk crates, only the cheap plastic consumer stuff that I wouldn't trust a full carboy in.

Check behind your local supermarket or Wal-Mart, they will usually have a ton. I'm not saying it's legal to take them or possess them, but you'll find that to be your best source.

You telling me a milk crate can fit a glass carboy in it? I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and I doubt it would fit inside a milk crate (I have a milk crate)

IMO this is like saying that "I don't need to wear a seatbelt because I have never had a fatal automobile accident."

what?

I think it is more like saying-

"I don't need to wear a seatbelt because i drive a f-ing tank."

how would you even use them in conjunction anyway?

My glass carboys get filled and emptied while in a milkcrate. I won't event attempt to move one without. They also get handled with gloves when empty, too many stories about even empty ones disintegrating in peoples arms.

That being said, I looked into Better Bottles, but 6 gal. is half a gallon too short. My whole process is dialed into 5.5 gals. into the fermenter. Even with Fermcap, that's too little headspace for me.

Um... that is the most depressing thing I have seen all day :(

edit: with my paycheck being a close second

+1 to going to get milk crates now.

I use milk crates when I use glass carboys, but still....

ANOTHER one of these threads. People wonder why so many people recommend Better Bottles. I wish I could keep a total of how many times someone's shattered a carboy, I bet I've ready a thread like this literally a hundred times in the past three years.

IMO this is like saying that "I don't need to wear a seatbelt because I have never had a fatal automobile accident."
Not to me...just the opposite in fact. I think I've never broken one because I always use milk crates.

I line my crate bottoms with several layers of cardboard for insulation. Plus the card board is easily replaceable.

Yes, the cheap $2.50-4.00 crates from the Dollar Store work. You don't need an "official" milk crate.

Hrmm... What if you lined the sides of the milk crate with cardboard, wrapped the bottom of the carboy in foil or plastic wrap (so you can pull it free), put it into the crate (with maybe an inch of space from the bottom), then sprayed the gaps with Great Stuff expanding foam insulation? It should be kind of like a pelican case for a carboy. :)

Hrmm... What if you lined the sides of the milk crate with cardboard, wrapped the bottom of the carboy in foil or plastic wrap (so you can pull it free), put it into the crate (with maybe an inch of space from the bottom), then sprayed the gaps with Great Stuff expanding foam insulation? It should be kind of like a pelican case for a carboy. :)

Neat idea, but may be a little overkill.

+1 to the strappin up before filling. I love my brewhauler, but whats the point if you're still going to be lifting a full carboy by hand.

Nothing wrong with glass, and like stated above they hold a little more volume which is perfect for my system, BB's are just a little too small for my preferences.

I use milk crates when I use glass carboys, but still....

ANOTHER one of these threads. People wonder why so many people recommend Better Bottles. I wish I could keep a total of how many times someone's shattered a carboy, I bet I've ready a thread like this literally a hundred times in the past three years.

Obviously this controversy (BB v Glass) will not be solved in this thread. Glass carboy advocates will brew great beer, and if they're careful, they may well never break a carboy and injure themselves. I will continue to use my BBs, brew great beer and be 100% certain that I will never cut myself on the broken fragments of my better bottle. I may also save by back by lifting a carboy that weighs considerably less even without the added weight of the milk crate.

In our context, one can note through actual observation that, on some milk crates, the bottom "mesh" seems stronger than on others. The Container Store item picture reminded me of it.
Maybe older were more substantial, before cost-cutting?
(anybody else getting p'off by lousy materials/designs, these days?)

When I see a glass carboy I cross the street and walk on the other side while clutching my purse extra tight.

Hahaha. Man, If I knew all of this, I would have just bought a better bottle (amusing they make 6.5+ gallon better bottles)?

Back