My extract IPA's are not bitter enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryH

Reaction score
I have made two extract IPAs, both have had nice citrus and floral flavors but are not nearly as bitter as I would have liked and thought they would be.
My first was a partial boil (2.5 to 3 gal) so I figured that was the reason, but my second was almost a full boil (4.5gal).
The first was a Simcoe IPA with 3oz Simcoe (1oz 1hr, 1oz at 15, 1 oz at 2), with 6# amber LME, and 1 # light LME plus spec grains.
The second had 2oz Cascade for 60 min, then 1 oz Williamette for 30, and 1 oz. US Goldings at 2, with 6# Gold LME and 3.3 amber LME, plus spec grains.
HELP, I LIKE BITTER BEER!

Try adding the majority of your extract at the end of the boil, with about 10 minutes left in the boil. That will greatly increase your hops utilization. If you want, you can post your recipe and one of us can run it through some brewing software (or you can download your own free trial of Beersmith) and you can see the differences in the IBUs by adjusting your extract timing.

If I add the LME during the last 10 min do I have to bring the wort back to a boil and the go 10 more minutes, or just go 10 minutes immediately after the addition?

If I add the LME during the last 10 min do I have to bring the wort back to a boil and the go 10 more minutes, or just go 10 minutes immediately after the addition?

Just pull the wort off of the burner to add the LME (so it doesn't sink to the bottom and scorch- ask me how I know!) and then stick it right back on the burner. It should get to boiling again in a jiffy, and keep your timer going. If you have trouble keeping/getting a boil, you can add your extract at flame out, with no issues.

I usually stop the timer while I let it come back up to the boil. Be sure to stir well so the LME doesn't scorch on the bottom of your kettle.

-Joe

Back