2nd brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squompie

Reaction score
After a successful 1st extract brew I'm stepping up to steeping grains extract brew. Gonna steep grains, 60 minute boil with LME and later will transfer to a second fermenter after primary fermentation has taken place. These are all corrections from the first batch which I beleive will vastly improve my beer. HOWEVER....
I dont really want to invest in a WORT CHILLER. After flame off, what will be the best approach to cooling the wort in a safe manner?

Last edited:
Before i had a chiller i would put the kettle in an water bath, either in my kitchen sink or the bath tub. I am in Alaska and our groundwater is in the 40's F year round so it worked pretty good for me. You could also add ice, or freeze bottles of water and add them to the water to help chill faser.

Also you could look up "no chill" brewing for ideas.

Viable cooling techniques depend on your volume, and whether you're doing a full or partial boil.

Other suggestions/comments:
- make sure to steep below 170F to avoid tannin extraction.
- keep a significant fraction of your extract for late addition (last 10 minutes).
- don't bother with secondary.

If you're going to keep brewing get a wort chiller. If not, use an ice bath. You could also use ice and dump it into the kettle to chill as long as you know your source is good.

Even if you have something that could cause an infection the risk is minimal until the wort gets below 160F.

My first 2 brews I put the kettle into the sink with an ice bath. Then my wife bought a 25ft copper chiller for me. Now I have a 50ft for full volume all grain BIAB batches.

Just an FYI; BIAB only takes 30 minutes longer to brew than extract :mug:

Congratulations on your brew! I just finished my 3rd. You learned a lot doing your first I am sure. You will learn just as much on you 2nd! I sure did.

How to cool the wort was my problem two. Without a wort chiller I did to things.

Cooled the wort in my brew pot with a cold water bath. Also I had to add several gallons of water to bring the total volume up to 5 gallons. I chilled this water to almost freezing.

I just purchased a wort chiller. Take your time and do some research before you buy. Dont buy something you need right now but, try and figure out where you want to go and buy a chiller that will match that and work for you now.

I purchased a counter flow chiller because I want to buy a pump and move to all grain brewing. I feel that a counter flow chiller would serve that purpose and plus it was a great deal used on craigs list! lol

Hope that helps!

Back