Good (extract) Marzen recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactussam

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody had a good Marzen recipe that didn't take too terribly long to brew. I've been considering the Winky Dink Marzen described in Complete Guide to the Joy of Homebrewing as that seems to be one that won't take too terribly long to make (~4-5 weeks). Many of the other recipes that I've found online are between 6-9 weeks, and I'd like to have something going sooner than that.

Then again, if it's gonna make a big difference in the quality of the beer, I'd be willing to brew something else for the short term and let the Marzen go a little longer. I can brew up to 3 batches at a time now.

Also, any suggestions for other types of beer? I'd also really love a decent Caramel Amber extract recipe, but I haven't been able to find anything...

Probably the biggest difference in timescales is based on lagering (since it is a Marzen). Perhaps the 4-5 week brews don't lager at all? I've had some lagers (fermented at proper lager temps of ~52F) taste almost ready to bottle right after 14 days primary. I do think the lagering still made a marked difference though.

I have been experimenting with Pacman yeast, and I'm convinced it could make a very lager-like beer in about 5 total weeks. Unfortunately I think you'd have to harvest from a rogue bottle which will take at least 1 week, maybe 2. I think the Magic Hat Ourtoberfest is actually an ale and it tastes pretty Marzen-like to me. Maybe search for a clone of that.

Back