Safety release leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I got some used corny's and replaced the poppets and O-rings, I just pressure tested them and it appears that one leaks from the safety release valve. Do you think replacing would take care of it, or is something more necessary?

Also, the kegs were supposed to be pressure tested and this one obviously leaks from the valve, do you think they are obligated to replace it? I know its only a couple of bucks, but its the principalities involved!

Matt

....Also, remember that they 'clean' the kegs, but probably not as good as we do, so give it a good cleaning and go from there. That will probably fix your problem, otherwise hit them up and see what they'll do for you (based on the deal you got!) and use words like "surprised" and "disappointed" and they may make it right.

Good Luck!

Take the safety release out, clean the surfaces and try it again. 2 out of 3 valve leaks I've had were due to grit in the valve. As far as testing goes, most likely they didn't run the pressure as high as you did. I have two kegs that "relieve" around 40 PSI and another that just touching the relief makes it vent, but as long as you don't touch it, no problem.

Let your supplier know, maybe they'll send you a valve free.

New valve on the way with the other part I was waiting for. I'll try cleaning it up when I get home and let you guys know what comes of it.

Back