Coffee in no-chill cube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone tried adding coffee to your wort in the no-chill cube? I think adding beans would over-extract them, but how about adding either hot- or cold-brewed coffee directly to the cube? I would think it would allow the hot wort to sterilize cold-brewed coffee.

Thoughts?

I've never used a no chill cube, but I do brew a lot with coffee. I tend to cold extract and just add it to the keg, but in the past when I was bottling I'd do a cold extraction and just add it to the fermenter without doing anything special (other than boiling the water I used for the extraction before using it). So I think you'd be fine just dumping it in.

When adding cold-brewed coffee did you ever have any contamination issues? I know you sanitize everything beforehand, but if you're steeping in the fridge overnight, it just doesn't seem like the most sterile environment. Have you ever added cold-brewed coffee into your kettle, say at the end of the boil? Just curious what heating cold-brewed coffee would do to it.

Back