Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA - bad batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Bottled 9-29-09. This case of DFH 60 minute IPA tastes like a smaller, slightly more malty, and way less hoppy 90 minute IPA. I hope this is a bad batch rather than a recipe switch. I like the 90 minute OK but it is a bit too sweet for me. I think the DH 60 minute is about as good as it gets for a session IPA, but this batch sucked. Anyone else notice?

At 4 months old, I'm sure the flavor is drastically different than it would be fresh. That's the downside to distributing IPA's; after 3 months or so, the hop aroma fades and the hop flavor turns to "candy" in my opinion. I've been burned many a time by snagging an IPA I had heard a bunch about, only to get it home and find that infamous candied flavor because the bottle was too old.

Oh I don't believe that. 4 months is not enough time to change a beer that much. I am quite sure this was a less-than stellar batch that was distributed anyway, or perhaps distributed before they discovered it as I believe DFH is a decent brewery. I'm just surprised no one else has said anything or, worse, noticed!

Back