Wikipedia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking something up recently and I noticed that Wikipedia is at the top of almost every word search I typed in. Does anybody know how in a short period of time they made the top of every word search?

Bots? Spiders?

I think you can even pay search engine co's to keep your content related sites at the top of the lists. Beyond that I think stats have a role too.

It's all about incoming links. The more sites that link to wikipedia pages, the more important google views it, and the higher up the pages rank. Since wikipedia has become the go-to online reference that's typically where other sites tend to link to a definition or cite as a source.

Don't people realize anybody can post there??

Unverified/unverifiable information is usually removed from Wikipedia rather quickly. Frequently vandalized pages get locked in short order.

In general I use Wikipedia to get a good synopsis of a subject and a source for further reading, and tend to trust the information that cites reputable sources. Yes there's always some crap on there but on average the information there is usually legit.

Thanks for the info, I've not used it much, just kinda weary about the credibility of the poster. I didn't know how it was policed/moderated.

Back