welches wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
i have made 10 gallons of apfelwein so far and they came out great!
i was wondering if i could do 1 gallon batches in the same manor with welches grape juice.
i was thinking about doing a simple recipe of 1 gallon grape juice , 1/2 pound of corn sugar, and 1/2 packet of montrachet yeast.
has anyone done this? and how would it come out?

I'm pretty sure that the preservatives in the juice would cause some serious problems for the yeast.

i have made 10 gallons of apfelwein so far and they came out great!
i was wondering if i could do 1 gallon batches in the same manor with welches grape juice.
i was thinking about doing a simple recipe of 1 gallon grape juice , 1/2 pound of corn sugar, and 1/2 packet of montrachet yeast.
has anyone done this? and how would it come out?

This thread will answer all your questions, and then some!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welchs-grape-juice-wine-21093/

The white grape frozen concentrate has potassium metabisulfate (sp) and if you use it you have to thaw it out and aerate a bit and then let it sit for about 24 hours as it will dissipate out and it ferments fine, my white grape/peach is doing great.

it is the 100% juice, the only thing i dont have is the pectic acid, acid blend and the yeast nutrient, i plan on using montrachet or cote des blancs yeast, which do you suggest?

I haven't used any pectic enzyme in mine and they clear very well. And I would not use any acids until it is almost done... I used too much in one of my wines (apple )and it is TART! I might have to back sweeten it with lemonade and tell everyone that it is hard lemonade! so now I only am going to use my acid blend if the wine tastes flat, or like it needs a bit of something.
I am using the yeast nutrient, and so far I have only used two different yeasts, the cote des blancs and lavlin EC-1118 I did buy the Montrachet but haven't used it yet. I do prefer the EC-1118 so far tho, it seems to let the fruit flavors come thru better. but yeasts are kinda a personal choice.

I'm currently on my 5th batch of Welches wine (3 six gallon and two 3 gallon batches)
I've used the cote des blancs, EC-1118 and D-47.

The D-47 didn't ferment out as complete and left some residual sweetness making for a better drinking wine, ABV was about 12%

The others have both fermented out dry, ABV 13.5% and is good for SWMBO wine margaritas (3 parts wine 1 part margarita mix)

Good luck,

D

I just finished up my first batch of basic welches wine. I do alot of one gallon batches of things because they are easier on the back. I'm planning on making another this week. I would recommend putting a pan underneath your gallon container. And I'm glad I did not put an airlock on right away, too. This started to ferment very quickly and was up and running all over my floor several different times. Now I've got an aluminum cookie sheet down there to catch the overflow (easy cleanup) and can't wait to make the second.
It is very drinkable. I was pleasantly surprised.

I just finished up my first batch of basic welches wine. I do alot of one gallon batches of things because they are easier on the back. I'm planning on making another this week. I would recommend putting a pan underneath your gallon container. And I'm glad I did not put an airlock on right away, too. This started to ferment very quickly and was up and running all over my floor several different times. Now I've got an aluminum cookie sheet down there to catch the overflow (easy cleanup) and can't wait to make the second.
It is very drinkable. I was pleasantly surprised.

Start it in a fermenting bucket.

Problem solved.

I have a gallon waiting to bottle that I made from Walmart's Great Value juice (red). I wasn't sure about it as the juice doesn't always taste as full-flavored to me as Welch's. But actually it's pretty doggone good. I'm wondering if maybe it being a little less flavorful isn't a good thing--this batch doesn't hit you with so much of the Concord "grape juice" flavor that I was expecting. Anybody else done any comparisons between Welch's and store-brand juices?

the wine has been sitting for 4 weeks now and is starting to clear, my question is how clear does it get? clear enough to read a paper through? i dont want to rack it too early.
and also how do i know when to bottle it?

the wine has been sitting for 4 weeks now and is starting to clear, my question is how clear does it get? clear enough to read a paper through? i dont want to rack it too early.
and also how do i know when to bottle it?

"Clear" is clear- just like commercial wines. You can read a newspaper through it. I'd bottle it when no new lees form after 60 days. So, rack it when needed. When lees form in 60 days, rack it again. When no new lees form over that 60 day period, it can be bottled.

I can't see pictures here (I'm on dial up at my cottage) but I have pictures in my gallery of clear wine ready to be bottled, and you can see how clear it is. Some may be ready for racking, and you can see the lees on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back