Starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apparatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch today. It was a Honey Wheat kit from Williams brewing. Everything went real smooth. The kit did not give a starting gravity reference. When i took one it came up with 1.052. Does this sound correct.? Also the instuctions do not say anything about racking into a secondary. It only says to take a gravity reading after 9 days and if it reads 1.017 you are good to prime and botltle. Should I rack into a secondary at some point, and if so when?

Apparatus:confused:

If you have a secondary then i would use it. After about a week (give or take a day or 2) rack it to the secondary, then about 2-4 weeks later prime and bottle.

1.052 sounds dead on balls acurate for an og.

After the airlock stops showing activity and the gavity stays the same for 2 or 3 days, then it is time to transfer.

Whether or not you need to secondary is up to you, it won't hurt and you will have less trub to avoid putting in your bottles.

:)

apparatus said:
Just brewed my first batch today. It was a Honey Wheat kit from Williams brewing. Everything went real smooth. The kit did not give a starting gravity reference. When i took one it came up with 1.052. Does this sound correct.? Also the instuctions do not say anything about racking into a secondary. It only says to take a gravity reading after 9 days and if it reads 1.017 you are good to prime and botltle. Should I rack into a secondary at some point, and if so when?

Apparatus:confused:
I would rack it to the secondary but you don't have to check the gravity all the time. Just wait for the activity to subside maybe five to seven days, and then rack to secondary. Let the beer set for a week or two or three if you can be patient. Then bottle.
1.052 sounds about right to me.

Back