I made a batch with no clarifiers. Anything I should/could do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I made a 5 gal all grain Pale ale and while brewing it I realized that I didn't have any Whirlfloc or Irish moss. So now that the beer is in the fermenter, is there anything I can or should do to improve the clarity of this beer?

Bah, no big deal. Irish Moss/Whirlfloc are moderately helpful, but you'll get much more bang for your clarifying buck with a week at cold temps (as close to freezing as possible).

Wait until fermentation is done. Then wait 5 or 6 more days. Then cold crash for a week. Then bottle/keg. DO NOT let it warm back up in the fermenter before you rack it. Go from fridge/freezer immediately to the keg, bottling bucket or secondary vessel. If you leave it in there and let it warm back up, there's a good possibility that the expansion of the molecules as it warms back up will rouse your trub and make it cloudy again. I made this mistake once...never again.

If you're REALLY concerned with it, when you rack to secondary, use some gelatin or shellfish finings.

(IMHO) Anymore, unless I am going to competition, I don't really care about clarity.

Or follow Budweisers advice and brew a dark beer to hide those flaws!!;)

Latest posts

Back