Making Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstev

Reaction score
I know I know RDWHAHB. Just wanna hear what others think.

So I'm new to making a starter. After boiling about a quart of water with a half cup of DME, I let it cool. Just before pouring in the vial of yeast into the starter... I made the genius decision to shake the vial. I'd say I lost about a third of the yeast through spreads/spill. Just poured the rest in...

Since one of the main reasons u make a starter is to grow yeast cells... I should be fine to pitch the starter after two days right? No need to add more yeast to starter? Thanks for the help/assurance

So as long as some of the yeast made it into the starter, I should be fine in a couple days to pitch Into wort? It just seems I read alot about under pitching, don't wanna waste a whole batch due to something as stupid as that

Do you use a stir plate? You should be fine even without it, but if you're brewing an imperial or a barleywine, you're screwed. It'll still ferment, but it'll be stressed and uncomfortable. You'd really have to step it up if you're brewing a huge beer, but a moderate grav brew should be fine.

you should be ok. When you make a starter without a stir plate, you need to shake that bastard every little while though. You can't just let it sit there. and go get/build a stir plate.

Back