What size wrench to use on keg post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
I searched and couldnt find anything, I want to take the post apart and clean them before my first kegging b/c these are used kegs, I've been watching chris knights videos but he suggest an 11/16 wrench, but my post seem to be bigger then this, I have never owned a wrench set but I bought one yesterday but the 11/16 didnt work neither did the 3/4 (which was the biggest size in the kit). So before I run back to the store and exchange for a different set I was wondering if anyone had a corney that used a different size. BTW I bought these from Insco2, anyone else have some from him and know what size wrench to use on the post?

Thanks guys.

Wondering the same thing. My 3/4 don't fit and I just use an adjustable albeit a PITA. You could just use an adjustable to remove it and take it to the store with you to size up

Yep, the 7/8" should work on most of them. Spend a couple extra bucks and get one of the "ratcheting" box-end wrenches, as they have the starburst-shape opening, which allows you to deal with those pesky starburst-shaped posts, of which I have a few...and the ratcheting is just a nice feature.

Yup! It'll either be 11/16" or 7/8". My used 5 gallon kegs take 11/16" but my new 2.5 gallon kegs take 7/8".

i bought a 7/8th 12 point deep socket, it works with the 12 point keg posts and also the regular shaped posts. My other keg has smaller posts not sure what size?

I searched and couldnt find anything, I want to take the post apart and clean them before my first kegging b/c these are used kegs, I've been watching chris knights videos but he suggest an 11/16 wrench, but my post seem to be bigger then this, I have never owned a wrench set but I bought one yesterday but the 11/16 didnt work neither did the 3/4 (which was the biggest size in the kit). So before I run back to the store and exchange for a different set I was wondering if anyone had a corney that used a different size. BTW I bought these from Insco2, anyone else have some from him and know what size wrench to use on the post?

Thanks guys.

oh man I did the *exact* same thing as you a month weeks ago when I got my kegs. I said "screw it", cleaned the keg, pumped sanitizer through the lines, and ran with it.

good to know its 7/8" though.

I use a 22mm 6-point deep impact socket. Came with my impact socket set.

I have some that take 11/16 and some that take 7/8.

It was marginally more expensive to get an entire set of deep sockets than to buy these two individually and I have already found use for one of the other sizes.

while im at it anyone know the size of o-rings that the kegs take, I can already tell once I got them unscrewed that Im going to have to replace them soon.

I got this from another thread around here:
Silicon O-rings for Cornie Kegs
McMaster-Carr
#9396K74 - size 109 - $9.44 for 100
#9396K24 - size 111 - $10.71 for 100
#9396K926 - size 417 - $7.88 for 5

Of course, you don't have to use those exact rings, but those pages have all the dimensions so you'll know what to look for. Also, home brew shops will stock the right sizes and just call them post, dip tube, or lid o-rings - no need to know the size.

Or just ask for a rebuild kit. They'll know what you're talking about and will include all the rings for the keg.

That'll work too. Though, I have noticed that at Midwest Supplies you actually save a little money by buying the rings separately rather than as part of their kit. It's probably (hopefully?) not like that at most place, but something to consider, I guess.

Back