Laying bottles on their sides?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratphink120

Reaction score
We just capped our first brew and my dad said to lay the bottles on their side while carbonation happens. The instructions say nothing about it, what should I do?

Leave them upright. You want the fine particles (dead yeast and such) to settle out so get get a cleaner pour when serving.

i don't think that is necessary for beer(wine is a definite yes to keep the corks moist)
you want the yeast residue to collect in the bottom of the bottle not the sides.
by the way - welcome:mug:

i type too slow!

He's probably just confused, thinking of wine (as the above poster noted).

Store them upright for a few days before serving to let them clear out, if you're tight on space though horizontal should be fine. Just don't be surprised when there's yeast in the first bit of the pour if you don't turn them vertical for a bit before drinking.

Definitely store them upright! I once stored a 6 pack of Harpoon on its side and the caps eventually leaked beer.

There is generally no benefit to storing bottles on their side.

I have done it both ways, when I needed extra room for carbing bottles in a temp-controlled environment. Worked fine.

Back